Friday 9 January 2015

The Mentalist - Green Light



Woohoo bravo to Alex Berger who's written his first yet brilliant episode. To be honest I do have a hint of concern whenever a new writer comes in but he wrote this episode in perfect balance that is: the case of the week, Abbott's arc, and Jane's birthday surprise. And to further mentalized the episode he also added classic mentalist along the con. I'm happy! And I love Dylan Baker! This guy always knows how to play a fascinating, multi layers sociopath. One of my favourites is his role in The Good Wife. If you never watched him there, I advise you to go see it. All in all, he and Rock rocking the Abbots arc with an amazing on screen chemistry. I can't wait to see that Peterson's character further unfold.


The Jabbott brotherhood

They're growing so much on me. It was a lovely surprise to see Abbott naturally confided in Jane. Man that was huge. My guess is, he could totally see Jane as a reflection of himself  - the Zeta commander was probably the Red John to his Jane, and that protecting the woman he loves comes on top of anything else. Rock did a fantabulous job here, probably his best performance so far in the show! Vice versa, Jane seems genuinely concerned about his well being and felt compelled to help him. You could see him totally put down his mask during the entire 'heart talk', and he quoted "You did the right thing" with that expression that screams "Mate, I feel you and I approve". These two has a weird chemistry from the start that is very compelling to watch and now that their brotherhood has reached another level makes my inner brotp fangirl so happy. Abbott trusts Jane completely and in return, for the first time Jane has a friend whom he could relate himself completely. One day I want to see them both brotp-ing together protecting their loved ones in danger. Best BROTP development, ever. 




I love it when Jane do a reading on Vega, he is like the big brother who's there to console and guide this little sister with a broken past. Gadd Jane, how much you've changed. Its becoming your natural instinct to be there for people nowadays. Isn't it good to be human? Vega on the other hand was moved and starting to accept Jane for who he is. And Blake Neely, I love how you heightened the tenderness of the whole scene, an excellent new theme for Jega!





Also I dont know about you but I was having a bit of Fugue in Red feels in this episode due to: "Why 3.5 pounds? Because." and "reactive allergies in de-clawed animals? try 4 preventive measures = Raid at 4pm." I'm reminiscing Big elephants can always understand small elephants. Because Lisbon. Because.


Jane and Lisbon: The gift that keeps on giving.


Oh Gadd, who didn't melt here? To me this scene was all about symbolism, the kiss was just icing on the cake. A broken pieces that glued together - just like Lisbon put Jane's broken soul together and made him human again. The way Simon played Jane's expressions moved me close to tears. His whole expressions shows how touched was he knowing that she kept this broken pieces for the entire time, it was too unbelievable to him. He also added the expression to the Blue Bird's "well thats lucky" plus the Blue Bird score. He was so moved to realise that this broken pieces was all she had left of him together with his gazillion letters. He cry, I cry. Then I couldn't help but picture Lisbon keeping the pieces together with the box of letters, staring at it every night for a good 2 years, pondering over his well being and thinking that they would never see each other anymore. Who knows she might even made some tea to pretend that he's there. Goodness, It hurts. Thank god they found one another now. All in all, I bet it was the most blissful birthday he's ever had in god-knows-how-long.

I'd say its a birthday of his rebirth, the first year of him being a human being again. Happy Birthday Jane. Also having the cup shattered in 6x07 and restoring it in 7x06 was NOT a coincidence, it was dedicated to fans.  

On another note, Lisbon's gesture and endless smiles here were full of Robin and the way she says "are you sure you're not just pretending you didn't know to make me feel better because you dont have to make me feel better" was so Indie Tunney and my Lisbian self was dying so hard. #Bye




Happy Birthday Patrick Jane.



1 comment:

Lilly said...

Wow! Love your analysis of the episode, Grace!
I thoroughly enjoyed the build up between Abbott/Peterson/Jane, and I can't wait to see how that part unfolds! Wish there'd been more of Cho in that episode, but it seems like they're giving alternate characters a bit more of a break each episode... sad as we don't have many episodes left. Can you believe we're halfway there already?
And Alex Berger! Wow! I mean, welcome to TM with an awesomely written episode! The cup scene was sweet. For a new writer, he captured that part so well. And Simon's surprise at the gift really made me fight back a tear or two. All the emotions in his face were just perfect. And Robin was so cute! I honestly would have swapped the end kiss for a HUGE hug, cause that's what I think that gift really deserved in the end :) But, no-one asked us, right? Lol!!
Lilly 😀